It’s time for another challenge, and this time, we’re back to having a guest. Peggy is the guest, and she’s judging!
What Will You Write? is a series of writing challenges that I am posting every two weeks. How it works is, I post the beginning of a scene and give you the genre or theme. You finish the scene and post it on your blog. Please read the challenge page for more information and past winners. The rules are simple:
- First, read what I’ve written (or in this case, the guest).
- Second, copy it and finish writing the scene. Please keep your portion of the writing at less than 1,000 words. It can be as little as 100 words, if you like.
- Then, post your story to your blog.
- Make sure you link back to this post so others can come and join in.
- Make a post in the comments below with a link back to your post (it’s likely that if you use WordPress, there’ll be a pingback, but please leave a comment with the link nevertheless).
The deadline is about 14 days from today. Let’s make that 3:00 pm GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) on September 19th [Edit: Deadline extended to October 3rd].
After the deadline, Peggy will read all of the entries and decide on who she thinks wrote the best scene. Once she’s decided, I’ll post the winning story with a link back to the writer’s original post. After that, I’ll include links back to everyone else’s entry so you can see what everyone wrote. The winner will have the opportunity to write their own prompt and be a guest judge if they want.
I’ll let Peggy explain what’s going on with this prompt, so read the following:
In any genre, just write a story about someone who very quickly (as in overnight) has gone from broke or poverty to being very rich. The source of good fortune can be anything… winning the lottery, a gift or an inheritance, a genie, … or ??? The only other element that needs to be included: they are required to share the new found bounty with another person or persons they don’t like or don’t trust.
So there we go. You have two weeks to write a story and get it posted. Good luck everyone!