I like to play chess, but haven’t found anyone here to play with. And I have no chess set in Japan. I have a nice one in Canada, though. Maybe I could play online.
But we found a piece from a chess set in a train station.
That’s my daughter posing as she usually does.
So, how many of you play chess?
I hear phrases like these in the news and on science websites:
- Quantum computing (This is a reality now)
- Potentially habitable exoplanets (One was recently discovered only 14 light years away)
- Spooky action (this was observed this year)
- Metamaterial wormhole teleports magnetic fields across space (This actually happened in a lab this year)
- We understand how memories are stored and that it’s possible to alter them
- Elon Musk’s Hyperloop to be tested
- Mars observed to have liquid water
- NASA accepting applications for new astronauts – ones to be selected to go to Mars
This is only a small sample of what’s happened this year. These are things that would only have been dreamed of a quarter century ago. They were science fiction. They are reality now.
How do you think science fiction has become reality recently?