I think this is going to be an interesting list. I love living in Japan, but I also love Canada. When I left Canada almost eleven years ago, there were some things that irritated me about Canada. But those have mostly been forgotten. However, this is what I’m not looking forward to about Canada.
- Winter – I don’t like the cold.
- Some TV – Even though variety shows in Japan were kind of stupid, they were still more entertaining than a lot of the shows in Canada.
- Cell phone plan prices and data restrictions.
- Cell phone roaming charges. No roaming in Japan!
- Internet speeds. Japan’s are the fastest in the world.
- Public transportation system. I want trains! But at least driving is better in Canada.
- Fish freshness.
- The sushi, lack of authentic gyudon (beef bowl), and no Japanese style curry rice.
- Country music. Can’t stand it.
- Urban sprawl. Let’s get some density.
- Often featureless countryside in the prairies.
- Obsession and defense of the oil industry.
Well, those are a few things. Canadian readers, anything you don’t like about Canada?
I don’t like the word hate, but it describes a feeling I have toward a few things pretty well. This post was inspired by Godless Cranium, who was in turn inspired by HarsH ReaLiTy.
- People who turn without using their turn signal. This applies to both when I’m driving behind them and when I’m walking across a crosswalk and I think they’re not turning.
- Old men who pick at their teeth and make loud smacking noises with their mouths while riding the train. It’s disgusting. Stop it.
- No rain in the forecast, I don’t bring an umbrella, it rains. Also, rain in the forecast, I bring an umbrella, it doesn’t rain.
- Being told I’m doing something the wrong way, when I’d been taught to do it that way, and had seen many people do it the same way. More specifically, I was told I wrote the number 7 wrong by an HR manager a few years ago. She said I must cross the 7, but I told her that every teacher I’ve had in my life did not cross the 7. She said they were all wrong. I continued writing my 7s without crossing them.
- Having someone explain a scientific theory to me. A scientific theory that I studied in university and did plenty of research and laboratory work on. A scientific theory that person didn’t actually understand. They got so much wrong, and when I tried to correct them, they’d still claim they were right.
- Anti-vaxxers, conspiracy theorists, anti-GMO activists, climate change deniers, and religious fundamentalists who are so adamant about their position that they will not listen to any kind of reason while expecting reasonable people to accept their version of the world as truth without any questioning. Not going to happen!
- Stubbing my toe. In fact, I stubbed both little toes and dislocated them several years apart (1996 and 2012).
- Some of my favourite games being incompatible with Windows 8.1.
- World leaders who refuse to stop acting like little children, which is most of them.
- Being questioned about why I’m so quiet at a party. There must be something wrong. No, as an INTJ, that’s just my natural state at a party. My problem is being asked that over and over again.
I’ll stick with ten. There’s more. But this isn’t so bad for an optimistic person is it?
I was thinking about something I read earlier today. Actually, it was just a headline. Something about global warming and how companies just don’t care. Well, it got me thinking about what’s been pissing me off lately. Here’s a handy list of things that piss me off. Just a warning, I use some profanity, just to spice things up.
- Companies that care more about their profits than they do about their grandchildren’s future. Oil companies piss me off.
- Governments that try to hinder scientific progress. Stephen Harper pisses me off.
- People who try to push their beliefs on others. Just stop it! You believe what you want, let the others believe what they want. Just as long as you don’t try to persecute each other for ridiculously stupid reasons. The way religion is today (and basically always has been) pisses me off.
- People who discriminate based on the colour of skin. Racists piss me off.
- People who continue to behave like idiots around people of the opposite sex. Stop with the lewd remarks. Stop trying to coerce others into sex. I’m especially pissed off at rapists and others who say that a woman’s attire caused them to rape. What the hell? No! It is your lack of intelligence and self-control that caused the rape. Rapists, sexists, chauvinists, and others of their ilk piss me off.
- People who say I can’t do something because others they know tried and failed. Sorry, I know I can do it, and I have every time. You know what? Those naysayers piss me off.
- People who ask me what’s wrong when I’m sitting quietly. Hey, I’m an introvert. It’s my natural state. Well, that doesn’t piss me off. I just pity those extroverts who don’t understand.
- Japanese businessmen on trains in general. Not all of them, just some of them. They think they’re so important on the train that they’ll steal a seat from a pregnant woman in a priority seat. I’ve seen it happen. I was pissed off. This is only one example. There are many incidents I’ve witnessed.
- Vegans and vegetarians who say they’re not eating meat for their health, and then turn around and smoke. Right. No, that doesn’t piss me off. That just confuses the hell out of me. The logic just isn’t there.
- Some drivers here in Japan who don’t stop for pedestrians. I was nearly hit four times one year. That really pisses me off. In fact, for one of them, the car stopped ten centimetres from hitting me while I was legally crossing in a crosswalk on a walk signal, and I just stopped and stared at the driver for a few seconds. No eye contact from the driver. She was probably scared to death because I was a foreigner, and there’s a belief by some people that foreigners are violent. Nope. I’m not violent, but I’ll stare down someone who pissed me off.
- People who incessantly tap their ring on a metal pole in a bus for the entire bus ride. I had such a headache from the tension and irritation, I just wanted to scream at him to shut the fuck up. But he was probably twice my weight and all of that muscle. I may have been pissed off, but I’m not stupid.
Well, I could keep going on, but I think posts like this are kind of therapeutic. Let off some steam. Funny thing is, I’m in a pretty good mood tonight. This was an idea that just popped in my head and I didn’t want to forget about it.
So, do you agree or disagree with some of my points? I promise I won’t get pissed off if you disagree.