As 2012 closes out, so does the first year of this blog. I started the year out with a pregnant wife about to give birth, and what do I do? I start yet another blog dedicated to reading and writing while we have a baby to take care of. I must have been crazy. Well, I’m loving doing this blog.
So what happened in 2012? I finished reading 14 books, most of them in the second half of the year. I set a target of 12 books and I exceeded it. I’ll go for 25 next year.
2012 was also the year that I finally became serious about writing books. I’ve developed so many ideas, though I’m going to concentrate on only 2 of them for now. I decided to try out self-publishing through Amazon’s Kindle and Smashwords. I’ve been working on using social media to get myself known. I still have a lot of work to do on that.
best book of the year
This is a pretty easy topic. There’s one book I was completely enthralled by, and that would have to be A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin. I found it refreshing to read, although it took me a long time. I started reading 3 big epic fantasy series this year, and A Song of Fire and Ice seems to be leading the pack (the others are Wheel of Time and Malazan Book of the Fallen).
worst book of the year
This is a really difficult choice to make. I didn’t read any bad books. I enjoyed every book I read. However, I would have to choose Gunship by John Davis. It’s not that it’s bad, it’s just that it’s a simple, action oriented book with little depth. I don’t intend to stop anyone from reading it, I think it was a good, light read. I do recommend reading it, by all means. But the main thing that didn’t impress me was the lack of editing.
top 13 most popular posts
Why top 13? Numbers 9 to 13 all have the same number of views. The most popular posts on this blog are the following:
- Which Shakespearean play should I read? – This was a poll I ran to choose a Shakespearean play to read. Macbeth won.
- What’s the greatest epic fantasy series? – A question for my readers. Of course, go there and leave a comment!
- What is an advanced society? – Are we advanced? See what I say.
- What should I read next? – Another poll to ask what I should read.
- Book Review – 2001: A Space Odyssey – My most popular review.
- Wow! Moment: Killer whales – An incredible event in my life.
- My dream writing studio – This is mine, what’s yours?
- Why are people afraid of gay marriage? – No reason to be afraid.
- A bright comet for 2013 – I’m really looking forward to this!
- Another poll. What should I read? – Yup, a poll.
- Book Review – A Game of Thrones – My second most popular review.
- Random things you may not know about me – Go ahead, find out a bit about me.
- Poll: the Sequel – Another poll!
Other noteworthy posts
These are some other posts I think you really should read!
My SF world teaser – I’m writing a science fiction novel. Here’s a bit about my world.
I am a Geek – Yes, I am. And I’m proud of it!
What does an earthquake feel like? – I’ve been through many earthquakes in Japan. This is what it feels like to be in one.
Who are you? – I actually just posted this today. I still think you should read it and post your comment.
The evolution of alien species – What do you do when you create an alien world?
Goodreads and giving reviews – I suggest to anyone who likes books to join Goodreads!
World creation, development, and planning – This is a big topic, and I think well worth the read.
Well, that’s about it for 2012. I’m looking forward to 2013, and hopefully a published book! Thanks for reading, everyone!